WESTGATE-PETERSON CEMETERY - [Information taken from "Choice White Pines and Good Land," Plainfield's history.] The Westgate-Peterson Cemetery is one of the earliest cemeteries in Plainfield. The cemetery is on the west side of Freeman Road and contains some seventy graves. There are also several markers. The oldest headstone is that of Thomas Gates who died in 1784. The cemetery is surrounded by a large iron pipe fence secured by a concrete curb. Relatives of Dr. Ebenezer Wright constructed the fence and provided money for its upkeep. In 1960, Mary Cassedy turned over the records and funds for this cemetery to the town. Until then, this plot was also private.
| HOME | MAP |