MILL CEMETERY - [Information taken from "Choice White Pines and Good Land," Plainfield's history.] Mill Cemetery is on Colby Hill Road above the covered bridge on Blood's Brook in Meriden. It is one of the earliest and largest cemeteries in town and is the final resting place of many Meriden people. Mrs. Hannah Kimball, wife of Benjamin Kimball, was the first person buried there in 1783. Their son, Daniel Kimball, the benefactor of the Academy, is also buried there. Granite hitching posts survive along the road. Above the old graveyard lies the newer section of the Mill Cemetery. It provides a beautiful view of Grantham Mountain. The "new" (west) part of Mill Cemetery is Plainfield's only cemetery not owned and maintained by the town. It is owned and operated by a private, nonprofit association.
| HOME | MAP|